- Parks & Recreation
Parks & Recreation
Click here to register online for Parks & Recreation activities
Applications for summer employment at our parks facilities are now available. New and returning applicants: please fill out the seasonal hiring form below. Any applicants interested in becoming a lifeguard can fill out the lifeguard form below.
Summer Job Applications
- 2023 Seasonal Hiring Form (Must be at least 16 years old)
- 2023 Volunteer Swim Instructor Form (Must be 14/15 years old - volunteer)
- 2023 CIT (Counselor In Training) Form (Must be 15 years old - volunteer)
Responsibilities of Department:
The Department of Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Affairs is responsible for managing the various programs and recreational activities the town provides. The Town of Babylon has full-time personnel and part-time seasonal personnel that staff its various facilities during the summer months. This department oversees the town’s parks and recreational facilities, including:
- Ocean Beaches
- Spray Parks
- Parks & Playgrounds
- Marinas & Campgrounds
- Boat Launching Ramps
- Cedar Beach Golf Course
Passes & Permits
Each summer the department publishes a guide advertising the programs that it administers. Purchase a pool pass and make use of the facilities at all town pools or enter a town beach with the purchase of a recreation parking permit for a modest cost. The Parks Department also issues permits for those seeking to use one of the many town facilities for recreational purposes.
In order to register for activities online, you must have a Town of Babylon Username and Password. If you do not have a username, please visit the Town of Babylon Parks Website and click “Click Here To Create an Account.” After completing the account creation form, you will need to upload double proof of residency (license & tax or utility bill) and birth certificates for children under 18 in your household.
If you need help using the site or are unsure of your Username and Password, please Click Here or contact our office at 631-893-2100.
Sign up to receive email updates about certain parks and recreation programs:
Dan McKeonCommissionerPhone: (631) 893-2100
Parks & RecreationPhysical Address
151 Phelps Lane
North Babylon, NY 11703
151 Phelps Lane North Babylon NY 11703
Phone: : (631) 893-2100
- What are the responsibilities of the Department of Parks & Recreation?
The Department of Parks & Recreation is responsible for managing the various programs and recreational activities that the Town provides. Full-time employees and part-time seasonal personnel staff its various facilities during the summer months. This department oversees the Town's parks, beaches and marinas, pools, spray parks and an 18 hole par three golf course at Cedar Beach. The main office is located at 151 Phelps Lane in North Babylon and the phone number is (631) 893-2100. Each summer the department publishes the Recreation Guide listing the programs that it administers. Such programs include: special events like the Beach Blast; recreation programs such as swimming lessons, day camps, dancing and many others; sports programs and leagues; kayaking; tennis and many others. A full listing of offerings can be reviewed in the annual Summer Recreation Guide, a directory available at Town Hall or the Parks & Recreation Office. Any resident can register for a program. The Department of Parks & Recreation also issues permits for those seeking to use one of the many Town facilities for recreational purposes.
- Where is the Department of Parks & Recreation located and how can I get there?
The Department of Parks & Recreation main office is located at 151 Phelps Lane in North Babylon, (631) 893-2100. From Sunrise Highway - take exit 40 and follow the signs for Deer Park Avenue North; once you are on Deer Park Avenue, Phelps Lane is the left immediately before North Babylon High School. From the Southern State Parkway - take exit 39 South to Deer Park Avenue; once you are on Deer Park Avenue, Phelps Lane is the right immediately after North Babylon High School. From Montauk Highway - make a left onto Deer Park Avenue; Phelps lane is the left immediately before North Babylon High School.
- What is the Recreation Guide and what kind of information does it provide?
The Town of Babylon Department of Parks & Recreation produces the Recreation Guide each year to provide residents with information about the various programs, camps, and facilities the Town has to offer. In the guide you will find the names and phone numbers for the Town's recreation facilities, registration dates and times for Town programs, and information on annual Town events including the Beach Blast. Remember that the Recreation Guide contains information about all the programs for the entire year so keep it handy. The guide contains the dates and times for the Department of Parks & Recreation's Fall, Winter, and Spring events and programs. These include the Fall Festival, Tree Lighting at Town Hall, the Spring Egg Extravaganza and a wide variety of other activities.
- Where and when can I get a Recreation Guide?
Please visit www.townofbabylon.com/parks and click “Recreation Guide” at the top.
- What are Parks & Recreation's Special Events?
Special Events include:
- Annual Summer Beach Blast with Fireworks at Overlook Beach
- Free concerts at Tanner Park and various facilities
- Seasonal events like the Holiday Tree Lighting, Eggstravaganza, and Fall Festival
- What are the Recreation Programs?
Recreation Programs include:
- Aquatics (basic swimming lessons, progressive, specialty, aquasize and competitive)
- Dancing (various styles)
- Day Camp (summer-5 weeks, ages 5 through 12)
- Music Lessons (most band and orchestra instruments)
- Parent and Tot (child play, movement, music, crafts and stories)
- Yoga at Gilgo Beach
- What are the Sports Programs?
Sports Programs include:
- Kayaking (children and adults)
- Pickle ball (mini tennis)
- Martial Arts
- When can I get an application for seasonal employment with the Town of Babylon Department of Parks & Recreation?
Applications are available at the end of April through mid May. If offered a position, you can download the application from our Forms Center on this website.
- Does the Department of Parks & Recreation provide senior citizen discounts?
Yes, senior citizens can receive discounted pool passes and beach permits.
- Does the Department of Parks & Recreation take care of tree trimming or animal control?
No, the Department of Parks & Recreation is not responsible for tree repair or animal control. For tree repair questions or animal control problems, call Citizen Services, (631) 957-TOWN (8696).
- Does the Town of Babylon offer golf lessons?
Yes, golf lessons for Town residents are provided throughout the summer months at the Cedar Beach Golf Course. For more information, including specific dates and fees, see the Recreation Guide when it is distributed in the Spring
- Do any parks in the Town of Babylon offer overnight camping?
Yes, facilities for overnight camping (self-contained camping vehicles only) are located at the Cedar Beach Marina & Campground. The 41 campsites are available for weekly reservations, Friday – Friday. Reservations for the summer begin in March. Please visit the campground reservations page for more information.
- Can an Empire Passport be used to access Town of Babylon beaches and parks?
The Empire Passport only provides access to New York State run beaches and parks. Residents of the Town of Babylon can purchase a Recreation Permit for Town Beaches to avoid a per-visit usage fee and to gain access to Overlook Beach. For non-residents and residents without permits, a per-visit usage fee is charged.
- Can a non-resident purchase a Recreation Permit for Town Beaches at a cost higher than that for residents?
Recreation Permits for Town Beaches are only available for purchase by Town of Babylon residents. However, non-residents are able to pay the same per-visit usage fee as residents without Recreation Permits. Cedar Beach and Gilgo Beach are open to all.
- Can I use my New York State Access Pass at Town of Babylon recreational facilities?
The New York State Access Pass is a state park disability pass. The Town of Babylon is accepting the New York State Access Pass for admittance into the Town beaches in lieu of a Recreation Beach Permit purchased through the Town. This courtesy will enable a resident access to Overlook Beach, Cedar Beach and Marina and Gilgo Beach.
- Where can I find additional park information?
In addition to the Town of Babylon parks, there are parks managed and owned by the State, County and surrounding Villages. For more information, please contact the following:
- New York State Parks Program: (631) 669-1000
- Suffolk County Parks Program: (631) 854-4949
- Amityville Village Hall: (631) 264-6000
- Babylon Village Hall: (631) 669-1500
- Lindenhurst Village Hall: (631) 957-7500