- Human Services
- Community Programs
Each year, the Department of Human Services recognizes various community leaders and residents during three recognition programs which include Black History Month, Women's History Month, and Hispanic Heritage Month. The community is invited to attend all of these special events which include music, entertainment, cultural enrichment, and specialty products from local businesses. Each program offers students from surrounding schools the opportunity to participate by submitting artwork, writing essays, or being featured in the program. Please call 631-464-4340 ext. 200 for further information.
Black History Month Program
The 35th annual Black History Month Program was hosted on Monday, February 6, 2023. The 2023 program theme was "Black Resistance," and featured keynote speaker Dr. Naima O. Robinson, scholar, historian, educator and lecturer.
- Charles Jackson, Community Activist
- Retha A. Fernandez, Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer, Suffolk County
- David Peters, Community Activist / Playwright
- Mr. and Mrs. John and Sandra Simpkins - Community Activists
2023 Black History Month Program (PDF)
Women's History Month Program
The 33rd annual Women's History Month Program was hosted on Thursday, March 31, 2022. The 2022 program theme was "Women Providing Healing, Promoting Hope," and featured keynote speaker psychotherapist Cheryl Mchunguzi, LMSW RMT.
- Jeanne Gargiulo, nurse for Northwell Health - Special Recognition Award
- Kaitlin Riordan, EMT/firefighter for Deer Park Fire Department - Special Recognition Award
- Lenore Brathwaite, Commander for Hunter Squires Jackson American Legion Post 1218 - Special Recognition Award
- Lisa Donnelly, nurse at Plainview Hospital - Special Recognition Award
Watch the 33rd Annual Women's History Month Program
Hispanic Heritage Month Program
The 24th annual Hispanic Heritage Month Program was hosted on Saturday, October 15, 2022. The 2022 program theme was "Unidos: Inclusivity For a Stronger Nation," and featured keynote speaker Jorge Rosario, Senior Assistant Town Attorney for the Town of Babylon.
- Dafny Irizzarry - Special Recognition Award
- Dominique Ramos - Special Recognition Award
- Krystal Hernandez-Barnett - Special Recognition Award
- John Franco - Special Recognition Award
- Dorian J. Collymore - Youth Recognition Award
2022 Hispanic Heritage Program (PDF)
Human ServicesPhysical Address
1 Commerce Boulevard
Amityville , NY 11701
Phone: : 631-464-4340 ext. 200Fax: : 631-464-4335