Native Americans, who were clusters of the Montaukett Indian Nation, lived in the area that became North Amityville prior to the arrival of 17th century English and Dutch Colonists. Today, many streets bear the names of the Native families that have lived in North Amityville for generations - Brewster, Devine, Fowler, Hunter, Miller, Payne, Squires and Steele. Small family burying grounds, including the Brewster and Green-Bunn Burying Grounds along Bethpage Road, were the final resting place for many Native Americans and Civil War Veterans. Drawn by the abundance of salt hay, Huntington farmers began settlements in the greater Amityville area around 1653. In the 1800s, numerous German immigrants and Black families also established homesteads in the rural community.
The historic Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church formed in 1815 and built its first permanent structure on Albany Avenue, in 1844. Once the largest private airport in the country, Zahn's Airport was created in 1936, through the apple orchards of Joseph Zahn.
In the 20th Century, as families began to flock to the south shore, businesses, factories and housing developments followed. In contrast to the caucasian-only policies promulgated by housing developments such as Levittown, Ronek Park was a non-discriminatory development that attracted many new families to the North Amityville community beginning in the early 1950s.