The first fire company in Amityville – Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 – was established in 1886, and several companies followed. Early volunteer firefighting companies responded to calls beyond the Village of Amityville, to present Copiague and Massapequa, as well. In 1905, all of the volunteer companies were organized under one village department – the Amityville Volunteer Fire Department.
Former headquarters of the Amityville Fire Department, on Greene Avenue, circa 1925. The building was also the headquarters for the Amityville Police Department and the village hall.
Town of Babylon Rescue Service responding to an emergency at Brunswick Hospital, Amityville, 1960s. Image courtesy of the North Lindenhurst Fire Department.
- Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1., est. 1886
- Hose Company No. 1, est. 1893
- Dauntless Hose Company No. 2, est. 1894
- Chemical Hose Company No. 3, est. 1914
- Drill Team – “The Villains,” est. 1921
- Hose Company No. 4, est. 1922
- Fire Police, est. 1950
- Emergency Squad, est. 1974
- Ladies Auxiliary, est. 1975
- Juniors, est. 1978
- Water Rescue, est. 1990
Amityville Volunteer Fire Department, 55 Oak Street, Amityville, NY 11701. (631) 264-1130 (non-emergency). www.amityvillefiredept.org