The Amityville Historical Society was established in 1969 and opened the Lauder Museum, in 1973, at 170 Broadway, in downtown Amityville village.
The Amityville Historical Society’s Lauder Museum, pictured circa 1975. The building was built in 1909 as the Bank of Amityville.
The general purpose and objects of this society shall be to operate and maintain a museum to encourage and promote the discovery, collection, preservation and display of historical objects. In addition, the society shall undertake the dissemination and publication of historical and noteworthy facts and knowledge about the activities, sites, memorabilia, materials, and history of the South Shore of Long Island and around Amityville and the surrounding and adjacent communities.