The Babylon School District is generally bounded by Little East Road (north of Main Street) on the west, Route 231 on the east, and extends north to a few streets south of Sunrise Highway. The district also includes the barrier beach communities of Captree Island, Oak Beach, Oak Island, Gilgo Beach and West Gilgo. Village of Babylon properties that lie to the west of Little East Neck Road are largely part of the West Babylon School District.
Babylon school class, circa 1933.
School district boundaries were established in the early-1800s. Prior to 1872, it was known as Town of Huntington School District No. 21. After the Town of Babylon separated from Huntington in 1872, it became known as Town of Babylon School District No. 1, before the name Babylon Union Free School District was adopted in the early 1900s.
The first Babylon school was established in 1805. The small school was located on Main Street, and it was privately owned by a group of local residents. In 1818, the school was purchased by Town of Huntington School District No. 21, and became a public school. The school was relocated to George Street in 1859 and, in 1893, a four-story brick school was erected at the corner of North Carll Avenue and Grove Place. Although commonly referred to as Babylon High School, it served students of all grades until the two elementary school were constructed. Babylon Memorial Grade School was named in memorial honor to local veterans.
Built in 1893 as the Babylon Union School, the building later became the high school. Although the school has been expanded several times, and no longer reflects the style shown in this c. 1910 postcard, the original cornerstone (right) is displayed within the schools corridors. At the left corner of the postcard image, the Capt. Joel Cook monument is shown in its original location. School expansion required the monument to be relocated to Argyle Park in 1957.
School District Mascot – Panthers
School District Colors – Orange and Black
- Babylon Junior-Senior High School – opened 1893
- Babylon Memorial Grade School – opened 1954
- Babylon Elementary School – opened 1965
Babylon Union Free School District, Central Administration, 50 Railroad Avenue, Babylon, NY 11702