The origin of the Babylon Public Library dates back to a private group known as the Babylon Book Circle, formed by Adelaide Arnold, Loreign Reid and Louis A. Sammis, in 1887. Charter members paid $3 per year and exchanged books among themselves. The Book Circle occupied rented spaces through the downtown for several years.
In 1895, the Babylon Library Association was incorporated by Lillian H. Fishel (later Lillian Oliver), Antoinette Sammis, Lulu Fishel and James W. Eaton. The library association held fairs and fundraisers for a permanent building, which dedicated on October 23, 1911. The library was still a private organization and members paid dues of $2 per year. In 1933, the Village of Babylon subsidized the library with $2,000 and it became a public library, open for free use by village residents. In 1964, the Babylon School District assumed support of the library, by a vote of the residents.
Community needs outgrew the small building and in 1966, residents voted to erect a new library on South Carll Avenue, which was dedicated on December 14, 1968.
The library building has been renovated and remains on South Carll Avenue. The library serves the Babylon School District, as described above.
The debut of the Babylon Library, as printed in the South Side Signal, October 27, 1911.
Babylon Public Library, 24 South Carll Avenue, Babylon, NY 11702 (631) 669-1624 www.babylonlibrary.org