Town of Babylon Parks and Recreational Facilities
State Trooper Fabio Buttitta Memorial Park and Pool, Acorn Street
- Originally named the Deer Park Pool, the 9-acre park first opened around 1965. The park was renamed to honor New York State Trooper Fabio Buttitta, a Deer Park resident who was killed by a drunk driver while returning home from patrol on the morning of August 24, 1997.
- Park facility with basketball and tennis courts and a roller hockey rink. Facility also includes a playground, swimming facility, restrooms and free Wi-Fi access. Link - https://www.townofbabylon.com/449/Parks-Playgrounds
- Pool facility that also offers a children’s pool, diving pool, restrooms, changing area, showers, shade arbor, lounge chairs, table with umbrellas and WiFi access. Link - https://www.townofbabylon.com/443/Pools
The Deer Park Pool, 1978.
Geiger Lake Memorial Park and Spray Park, Grand Boulevard
- Park facility with Jr. Baseball fields, basketball and tennis courts. Facility also includes a picnic area, playground, restrooms, lake fishing and free Wi-Fi access. Link - https://www.townofbabylon.com/449/Parks-Playgrounds
- Spray Park Info: playground, and WiFi access. Link - https://www.townofbabylon.com/440/Spray-Parks
Geiger Memorial Park, September 1958.
Geiger Park concession stand at Geiger Lake, 1950s. Melvin and Kitty Cronogue operated the concession from the mid-1950s to the mid-1960s.
William Geiger was a real estate developer, across Long Island, in the early 1900s, and created suburban home developments in the present communities of Deer Park, Wyandanch and Wheatley Heights. Before his death in 1934, William Geiger set aside 23-acres of his real estate holding, with a lake, for the Town of Babylon and its residents.
Spanning the boundaries of Deer Park and Wyandanch, the lake has been known by many names, depending on who owned the property – Deer Park Lake (1892), Colonial Springs Lake (1917), and Wyandanch Lake (1950). The Town of Babylon formally dedicated Geiger Memorial Park in 1957, and the lake is known as Geiger Lake.
Geiger Lake is part of the Carll River, which was formed from underground streams to the north. The river flows south from Geiger Lake, through Belmont Lake (North Babylon), Southard’s Pond and Argyle Lake (Babylon), and to the Great South Bay.
Birchwood Park, Sunburst Drive
- The 10-acre park was presumably named for the Birchwood Park development of homes that debuted in 1959.
- Park facility with baseball fields, turf fields for football/soccer. Facility also includes a playground, restrooms and free Wi-Fi access. Link - https://www.townofbabylon.com/449/Parks-Playgrounds
Pine Acres Park, Pine Acres Boulevard
- The Pine Acres residential development was established around 1937, which lent its name to the street and this 5-acre park.
- Park facility with Jr. Baseball fields. This facility also includes a playground, restrooms and free Wi-Fi access. Link - https://www.townofbabylon.com/449/Parks-Playgrounds