- Historic Services
- North Babylon Community Profile
- North Babylon School District
North Babylon School District
Most of our school district boundaries were established in the mid-1800s. The landscape of our communities changed – from farms and fields to streets and homes – but school district boundaries largely stayed the same, with a few exceptions.
Prior to 1872, the school district was known as Town of Huntington School District No. 19, after the Town of Babylon separated from Huntington in 1872, it became known as Town of Babylon School District No. 3, before the name North Babylon Union Free School District was adopted in the early 1900s.
In the book Huntington – Babylon Town History (1937), by Romanah Sammis, some brief history of early North Babylon schools, written by district clerk Victoria Edwards, was set forth:
“The first schoolhouse was a log cabin erected about 1810 on Phelps Lane, opposite the old James DeKay house that burned down a few years ago. A group of pear trees surrounded the cabin and marked the spot when [sic] the school was moved to the Weeks property. In 1822 or 23 the grandfather of Miles Weeks offered a fourth acre of his farm on Phelps Lane, just east of the pond, for the site of a new schoolhouse. This was a one-room house, twenty feet square, with a fireplace. Among the tools of learning was a broom, also an axe used to cut wood for the fire. No tax was levied. Each pupil bought his own supplies and paid a per diem rate for his schooling. The teacher boarded around. By 1850 there was a tax on landowners and by 1854 a larger school was needed. This building was ceiled [a plaster ceiling], had larger windows, a box stove, moveable benches, and desks that were really shelves around the wall. … The fourth school built, in 1880, was of one room but much larger than its predecessors, with modern desks and real blackboards. One teacher taught all grades and the term lasted only five or six months. In 1915 a two-room schoolhouse was needed to accommodate the increased number of pupils and a good-looking white building, with a small tower, was erected. In 1932 it was succeeded by the present two-story, six-room structure on the west side of Deer Park Avenue, and the site that had held a schoolhouse for over a hundred years reverted to the Weeks estate. This district … has changed its boundary lines slightly. About ten years ago a section following Hubbard’s Path was ceded [given up] to West Babylon.” In 1937, the school reportedly had 160 students and five teachers.
In 1932, a new brick school, the North Babylon School, was opened on the west side of Deer Park Avenue. The school, designed by Amityville architect Lewis Inglee, was subsequently expanded. It was later known as the Deer Park Avenue Elementary School before the name was changed to honor Marion G. Vedder.
The 1950s population boom brought many changes to North Babylon, particularly the need for more school facilities. Prior to the establishment of a dedicated high school for the North Babylon School District, students typically attended Babylon High School. The present North Babylon High School occupies the old Weeks estate, on the north side of Phelps Lane, where the early schoolhouses were located.
Deer Park Avenue Elementary School (now known as the Marion G. Vedder Elementary School), Deer Park Avenue, North Babylon, October 1937. Photo by William Henry.
North Babylon School, first grade class 1-B, 1953-1954.
Cornerstone dedication for North Babylon Junior-Senior High School, July 15, 1959. (l-r) -- ; --; --; --; former Trustee Frank Bleil; former Trustee George F. Diercks; former President J. Robinson Smith; Rowena Spader, vice-president; former President Claude S. Coomes; President August J. Ginocchio; Trustee Ruth Gardineer: Trustee James G. Lawler; Town Supervisor Arthur M. Cromarty; --; Trustee Donald W. Long; --; Congressman James Grover.
School District Mascot – Bulldogs
School District Colors – Blue and White
- Belmont Elementary School – opened 1956
- Marion G. Vedder Elementary School (original named North Babylon School and, later, Deer Park Avenue School) – opened 1932
- The school was renamed for elementary school teacher, and later principal, Marion G. Vedder, in 1991.
- In 1989, the school was designated as a Town of Babylon Historical Landmark.
- Parliament Place Elementary School – opened c. 1960
- William E. DeLuca Jr. Elementary School (originally named Parkside Elementary School) – opened 1967
- Named for William E. DeLuca Jr., supervising principal of North Babylon schools, on May 7, 1979.
- Woods Road Elementary School – opened 1957
- Robert Moses Middle School – opened 1968
- Named for Robert Moses, President of the Long Island State Parks Commission, headquartered at Belmont Lake State Park.
- North Babylon High School
- Weeks Road Elementary School – opened 1954; closed 1978
- Phelps Lane Elementary School – opened 1958; closed by 1985 (the old school is now the Town of Babylon Annex)
- Peter J. Brennan Junior High School – opened c. 1962; closed 1988
North Babylon School District, 5 Jardine Place, North Babylon, NY 11703 (631) 620-7000 www.northbabylonschools.net