An excerpt from “History of the North Babylon Fire District, 1936-1981,” North Babylon Volunteer Fire Company 45th Anniversary booklet:
“All of what we have today was started in 1934 by a group of interested and dedicated citizens of North Babylon, who met informally wherever space could be found until April of 1935 when the first election of Officers was held. Unfortunately the first records have been mislaid, so particulars are not available.
In 1936 we obtained our Charter and purchased our fist pumper, which was rebuilt for us by the Mack Fire Apparatus Co. on a 1923 Bulldog Mack chassis. Our first piece of fire apparatus had been a Model T hose caret. In 1936 we also signed our first contract with the Town of Babylon to supply fire protection for Fire Protection District 15 and we answered our first official fire call. Heretofore our district had been protected by the Babylon Fire Department.
We moved into our first firehouse on the north side of Hale Street, nearly opposite our present beautiful Headquarters building. 1936 was indeed a banner year for the North Babylon Volunteer Fire Company, Inc.”
The original Station No. 2, North Babylon Volunteer Fire Co.
Station House No. 1, which opened in 1951, pictured with the department’s fleet of Mack trucks from all three stations, 1967.
Members of the Fire Police Squad responding to a nighttime call in 1957.
Photos courtesy of North Babylon Volunteer Fire Co.
North Babylon Volunteer Fire Company, 20 Hale Road, North Babylon, NY 11703 (631) 669-0419 (non-emergency) www.northbabylonfire.org