Following school district lines, the hamlet of East Farmingdale is part of two library districts. Residents that live north of the railroad attend the Half Hollow Hills Central School District and are served by the Half Hollow Hills Community Public Library, and those residing south of the railroad line attend the Farmingdale School District served by the Farmingdale Public Library.
Farmingdale Public Library
The Farmingdale Public Library got its start in 1923, in large part with the support of the Farmingdale Women’s Club. Known as the Farmingdale Free Library, supporters collected books and first operated from two small rooms in the old Kolkebeck House, on Main Street. In 1929, the Kolkebeck house was demolished to make way for the expansion of the adjacent school building. A space in the Main Street School, a joint school-public library, was used until the early 1950s when both the school and library required more space.
The “Friends of the Library” were established in 1951 and worked to gather support for a larger and separate library. In 1952, the local taxpayers approved the proposal and the Farmingdale Free Library opened on February 9, 1953 in a rented storefront at 195 Main Street. Later, the Library Board of Trustees acquired an old bank building, on the corner of Main and Conklin Streets, which opened as the Main Street Branch Library in 1961. The South Branch Library on Merritts Road opened in 1962.
In order to combine both library branches at one location, the Board of Trustees broke ground on the Merritts Road site, in 1992, and the present library opened in 1994.