- Historic Services
- North Amityville Community Profile
- North Amityville Public Libraries
North Amityville Public Libraries
As with the school district, the hamlet of North Amityville is split between two library districts, with the western area in the Amityville district and the eastern area in the Copiague district. Of course, the Suffolk County Library System allows users to utilize libraries across the county, but patrons need to get a “home” card through their library district.
Amityville Public Library
The origin of the Amityville Public Library dates back to a private group known as the Amityville Literary Society. The society held meetings at member’s homes but, eventually, they needed a permanent headquarters. In 1907, the society received a New York State library charter and St. Mary’s Church Parish Hall was used as the library headquarters, with 67 circulating books. A few years later the organization built a small wooden building on Broadway, near Ireland Place. In 1926, it was replaced by a charming brick building, which still stands at 166 Broadway.
Former Amityville Public Library, on Broadway, pictured circa 1940. Image courtesy of the Amityville Historical Society.
In 1957 the Free Public Library of Amityville changed its name to Amityville Public Library, and what started as a private association became part of the Amityville School District. The current library was opened in 1972. The library serves the Amityville School District, which includes the Village of Amityville, part of East Massapequa and the western part of the Hamlet of North Amityville.
For further reading: “Amityville’s Library,” by Cecil H. Ruggles, from A Backward Glance (available at the Amityville Historical Society and the Amityville Public Library)
Amityville Public Library, 19 John Street, Amityville, NY 11701 (631) 264-0567 www.amityvillepubliclibrary.org
Copiague Memorial Public Library
When the Copiague Memorial Public Library formed in 1960, one of the first actions made by the Board of Trustees was a resolution naming the new library “in honor of those residents of Copiague who faithfully served our country in the past wars.”
The first location of the Copiague Library was in the old auditorium of the Great Neck Road Elementary School. This image, circa 1961, shows the library sign on the left side of the doorway. Image courtesy of the Copiague Fire Department.
The library opened in the old auditorium of the Great Neck Road School (now the school’s library) and was later housed in the old fire department headquarters (now Polish & Slavic Federal Credit Union). The current library building opened in 1989.
The library serves the Copiague School District, which includes the hamlet of Copiague and the eastern part of the hamlet of North Amityville.
Copiague Memorial Public Library, 50 Deauville Boulevard, Copiague, NY 11726 (631) 691-1111 www.copiaguelibrary.org