- 150th Anniversary
- North Amityville Community Profile
- Historical Societies and Museums
Historical Societies and Museums
The Amityville Historical Society was established in 1969 and opened the Lauder Museum, in 1973, at 170 Broadway, in downtown Amityville village.
The Amityville Historical Society’s Lauder Museum, pictured circa 1975. The building was built in 1909 as the Bank of Amityville.
The general purpose and objects of this society shall be to operate and maintain a museum to encourage and promote the discovery, collection, preservation and display of historical objects. In addition, the society shall undertake the dissemination and publication of historical and noteworthy facts and knowledge about the activities, sites, memorabilia, materials, and history of the South Shore of Long Island and around Amityville and the surrounding and adjacent communities.
Amityville Historical Society, 170 Broadway, Amityville, NY 11701
(631) 598-1486 https://www.facebook.com/amityvillehistoricalsocietylaudermuseum/ firstname.lastname@example.org
- Babylon Town Historical Society – Established in 2006, this historical society represents the hamlets of the Town of Babylon, including East Farmingdale, and is headquartered at historic Van Bourgondien House.
The Tudor-style house was built for Cornelius and Clara Van Bourgondien in 1929. The Van Bourgondiens operated C.J. Van Bourgondien Nurseries, on the surrounding property, until 1975.
In the 1970s, the property was acquired by Suffolk County and the house was designated to the Suffolk County Historic Trust in 2007.
The mission of the Babylon Town Historical Society shall be to collect, preserve, research, and interpret the history of the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County, New York, and thereby to foster a deeper understanding and appreciation of our town’s history.
Babylon Town Historical Society, 600 Albin Avenue, West Babylon, NY 11704 (631) 587-3750
- Town of Babylon History Museum and Office of Historic Services, at Old Town Hall:
Opened in 1918, Old Town Hall was the first Town Hall erected by the Town of Babylon, and served as the seat of Town government for 40 years. In 2005, the building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. After extensive restorations, the Old Town Hall was rededicated as the Town of Babylon History Museum on June 11, 2010.
The Town of Babylon History Museum has three floors of exhibits related to Town of Babylon history, including the jail cells of the former Town of Babylon Police Department, the old Town Courtroom and local history exhibits and photographs.
The museum is located at 47 W. Main Street, Babylon, NY (one block west of Deer Park Avenue). Metered parking is available throughout Babylon Village. Museum admission is free.
Guided tours of the jail cells are available from the Historian’s Office on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, from 10am-2pm. Group tours are available, by appointment. To schedule a tour, please contact the office, below.
Town of Babylon, Office of Historic Services, 47 W. Main Street, Suite 2, Babylon, NY 11702 (631) 587-3750 email@example.com
Holiday Model Train Display – In December, the Town of Babylon History Museum hosts a 240 square-foot model train display inspired by local history and community landmarks, with interactive fun for the whole family! Admission is free.
(Check the Town of Babylon Events Calendar for dates/times.)