General Collection Information
Residential garbage collection occurs twice a week in the Town of Babylon on either Mondays and Thursdays or Tuesdays and Fridays depending on where you live. If you are unsure of which collection days you fall under, please call EnCon at (631) 491-3200 and provide them with your address.
- Use only standard 33 gallon pails with lids, molded handles and no tie-down straps. No material can be above the top of the can.
- The night before, put items at the curb, within one foot from the street in front of your home.
- Do not store material at the curb. Only put out material that will be collected that day (for example garbage on garbage days, yard waste on yard waste days).
- Multi-family homes should put all material at one spot per house.
- Do not mix garbage with yard waste or building material.
- Separate garbage bags from bags containing yard waste.
- Keep all garbage cans, bags and bundles under 50 lbs.
- Do not use the blue recycling can for garbage or newspapers.
- Your material can only be collected from in front of your house.
- Make sure your garbage cans are clear of any parked vehicles. Make sure your materials are not placed at the side of any vehicle.
- If your yard waste is picked up on the same day as your regular garbage, please separate at the curb.
REMINDER: Excessive amounts of material could result in fines and cleanup costs. Put ONLY the material to be collected at the curb. DO NOT put material out prior to 1:00 P.M. the day before the specific collection.
EnCon cannot pickup the following items:
- Propane Tanks (You may drop off empty 20 lb. propane tanks only at the Residential Recycling Center. Other size tanks can be returned to dealer.)
- Medical Waste (needles)
- Toxic Material - Auto & Boat Parts
- Car Batteries
- 55-gallon Drums
- Concrete, bricks, stone
- Any commercially generated waste
- All Pool Chemicals
- Liquid paints (see below)
Some items can be brought to the Residential Recycling Center. If you need to dispose of any item and are not sure how, please call the Residential Recycling Center at (631) 249-9346 or call DEC at (631) 422-7694.
Furniture (Bulk Items):
One item of furniture will be taken with each garbage pickup. Furniture is: a couch, a mattress and box spring, a dresser, one room-size rug (rolled and tied, cut into sections 4’ in length and under 50 lbs.) Make sure that garbage and furniture are at the same location. Remember, only one item per garbage pickup.
Limited Construction Debris:
ENCON will pick up debris - up to two items - on your Thursday or Friday garbage day. Place items at the curb the night before pickup and please follow these instructions:
- Building material from major renovations cannot be taken.
- Wallpaper, tile, plaster, etc. must be in a container and weigh less than 50 lbs. Lumber and small diameter pipe must be securely tied in bundles not more than 4 feet in length and less than 50 lbs and cannot be over the top of the pail.
- Paneling and sheet rock must be in a container or securely tied in bundles no larger than 2 feet x 4 feet and less than 50 lbs. Please remove nails from boards to avoid injury.
- Put glass in a garbage can or securely wrapped in cardboard, marked “glass.” Do not put broken glass in cardboard boxes, plastic bags or blue recycling can.
- 4X4 Railroad Ties will be accepted if they are under 2 feet in length and securely tied in bundles less than 50 lbs.
- Sawdust will be accepted if it is in a securely tied plastic bag weighing less than 50 lbs.
If cardboard boxes contain garbage, they must be tied securely with rope.
When disposing of barbecue or fireplace ash, be sure it is cold before putting it in a plastic bag and tying it securely for pick up.
Latex (water-based) paint can only be disposed of in your regular garbage if can is less than 25% full and contents are dried out. Fuller cans must be brought to the Residential Recycling Center. Oil-based paint cannot be disposed, please bring it to S.T.O.P. Day.
One passenger vehicle type tire with or without a rim will be picked up on the second pickup day or can be brought to the Residential Recycling Center. The Residential Recycling Center will accept up to 4 tires with or without rims.
- Where is the Town's Recycling Center?
The Towns Department of Environmental Control operates the Recycling Center. The Recycling Center receives waste that residents feel can’t be picked up at the curb. Not all items, however will be accepted. Unacceptable items include: explosive, ammunition, asbestos, automobile body part.
The Recycling center is located at 57 Field Street in West Babylon and can be contacted at (631) 249-9346.
The hours of operation for the Recycling center are Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 2:30pm.
- What is the trash and recycling pick-up schedule?
A complete trash and recycling pick-up schedule is mailed to each house on an annual basis and is also available online - Trash and Recycling Calendar.
- What is the earliest time trash pick-up service can begin?
Generally, trash service does not begin before 5:00 am. Residents are encouraged to call Commercial Waste at (631) 422-7670 if they notice, or are inconvenienced by, pick-up service occurring prior to 5:00 am.
- What items are considered "White Goods"?
White Goods are:
- residential refrigerators (remove all doors from refrigerators and freezers)
- washers and dryers
- water heaters
- air conditioners
- metal desks, metal cabinets
- metal dehumidifiers
- cut up oil tanks
- aluminum sheds (bundled, tied, under 4' and 50 lbs. or less)
- How can I schedule a special pick up of White Goods?
EnCon will pick up white goods on Wednesdays; however, you must call ahead to reserve pickup. Contact EnCon at (631) 491-3200, Monday through Friday from 9 am to 4 pm and a representative will give you the date your white goods will be picked up. You need to call by Friday for pickup the following Wednesday. Please put the item at the curb in front of your house.
For safety's sake, please remove all doors from refrigerators and freezers.
- How do I dispose of yard waste?
Yard waste is collected separately from garbage 12 months of the year. Yard wase is collected according to your Yard Waste Zone (YWZ). Yard waste will not be picked up on holidays and will be picked up on your next collection day the following week. If you do not know your yard waste day, call EnCon at (631) 491-3200.
- Yard waste cannot be mixed with garbage
- Do not use cardboard boxes for yard waste
- You may put out a maximum of 10 items of yard waste per week
- Bags of grass and leaves must be under 50 lbs
- Disposal regulations for tree debris (tree branches less than 4" in diameter) require that trimmings must be bundled, securely tied, under 4 feet long and under 50 lbs
- Dirt, sod and rocks cannot be collected - these items can be brought to a Transfer Station or Yard Waste Disposal Center
- What day is my yard waste collected?
Your yard waste collection day depends on your yard waste zone (YWZ). For more information, please check the Town of Babylon Recycling Calendar. Yard waste will not be picked up on holidays and will instead be picked up the next week on the resident’s usually scheduled pick-up day. The yard waste zones are as follows:
- YWZ 1 – South of Montauk Highway- Monday pick-up
- YWZ 2- Between Montauk Highway and Sunrise Highway- Tuesday Pick-up
- YWZ 3- Between Sunrise Highway and Southern State Parkway- Wednesday pick-up
- YWZ 4- Between Southern State Parkway and Long Island Avenue – Thursday pick-up
- YWZ 5- North of Long Island Avenue or North of Long Island Rail Road tracks- Friday
- How do I dispose of glass, cans and plastic?
When the bottles and cans symbol appears on your Trash and Recycling Calendar, EnCon will pick up glass, metal cans and plastics from your curbside in your blue recycling bin or clear plastic bags. EnCon cannot collect recycling material from any other type of receptacle.
- Aluminum and Metal Cans - rinse cans, labels may remain in place
- Glass Jars and Bottles - rinse jars and bottles, labels may be left on, remove caps, lids and wire rings (do not break glass or put plate glass, drinking glasses, light bulbs or window panes in the recycling bin)
- Plastic Bottles - rinse plastic bottles and remove caps and pumps (to fit more containers in the bin, flatten them)
- How do I dispose of newspapers, phone books, magazines and cardboard boxes?
When the newspaper symbol appears on your Trash and Recycling Calendar, EnCon will pick up properly wrapped newspapers from your curbside. Wrap newspapers in twine or put them into paper bags. Do not use plastic bags for holding newspapers. Magazines, junk mail, cardboard boxes and telephone books will be picked up along with newspapers. These items should be bundled and tied. Please put out newspapers regardless of the weather. Pizza and cereal boxes are not recyclable. Please dispose of pizza and cereal boxes with your normal household garbage. Do not use your recycling can or garbage pails to put your newspapers out. These items can also be brought to the recycling center at 51 Field Street in West Babylon between the hours of 8:00 am and 2:30 pm, Monday through Friday.
- What items can I drop off at the Residential Recycling Center?
Acceptable items for drop off at the residential recycling center are : plastics/ glass, waste oil, car batteries, computer paper, telephone books, bricks, household batteries, junk mail, oil filters, metal/ aluminum cans, polystyrene, newspaper cardboard, concrete ( broken pieces) 20 lb propane tanks fire extinguishers, electronics, and up to 4 tires with or without rims.
- Where can I dispose of oil from my car?
You can dispose of waste oil at the Residential Recycling Center, located located on Field Street off Edison Avenue in West Babylon. It is open for drop-off of recyclable materials on weekdays from 8 am to 2:30 pm. For further information please call (631) 249-9346 or (631) 422-7694.
- How do I dispose of my Christmas tree?
Natural Christmas trees go out on your regular yard waste day. No special arrangements need to be made.
- How do I dispose of paint?
Latex and water and oil based paint can be disposed of in your regular garbage. Please place the can's cover on tightly, place in double bags and only put out one can per pick-up. Residents can also drop paint cans off at the Residential Recycling Center at 57 Field Street in West Babylon. The hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 2:30 pm. Residents are reminded to utilize the Towns STOP program each spring and fall.
- How do I dispose of light residential construction debris?
Specific recycling information is available in Trash and Recycling Calendar. Limited construction debris, up to two items, is available for pickup on your Thursday or Friday garbage day. However, building material from major renovations cannot be taken. The Residential Recycling Center (631) 249-9346 or the Sanitation Department (631) 422-7694 can be contacted in the case that you need to dispose of an item and are not sure how to.
- When did the Town of Babylon start its recycling program?
The Town of Babylon began its town-wide recycling program almost 36 years ago. Today, more than 60% of the town participates in the effort to recycle.