Weekly Recycling Pickup
Recycling is picked up weekly from households on Wednesdays. Recycling pickup alternates every week between glass, metal cans & plastics and newspaper & cardboard. The icon on each week of the Recycling Calendar indicates which recyclable materials will be collected each alternating week. During holiday weeks, recycling may be picked up on your regular garbage day (Thursday or Friday). Holidays where schedule changes occur are: New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. Please read the Recycling Calendar for special holiday pickup schedules.
Please note that service changes only occur during the seven holidays / weeks listed above. Although Town Offices are closed in observance of additional holidays, garbage service still occurs on all other town-observed holidays.
Glass, Metal Cans & Plastics
On weeks where the glass & can symbol appears on your calendar, EnCon will collect glass, metal cans & plastics from your curbside in your blue recycling bin or clear plastic bags. EnCon cannot collect these materials from any other type of receptacle.
- RINSE all metal, glass and plastic cans and bottles
- REMOVE caps, lids and wire rings
- FLATTEN plastic bottles to fit more contents
How To Properly Dispose: Blue Recycling Bins or Clear Plastic Bags
Please use only the free standard blue Town of Babylon recycling bins with lids and molded handles or clear plastic bags for curbside recycling pickup. Your garbage collectors won't be able to identify these materials if they are put in any other type of receptacle.
You can pick up the blue bins at the Town of Babylon Recycling Center in West Babylon, or at Babylon Town Hall (Town Council Office) in Lindenhurst.
Newspaper & Cardboard
On weeks when the newspaper symbol appears on your calendar, EnCon will collect properly bundled newspaper & cardboard materials from your curbside. These items should not be placed in any type of bin, can or trash pail.
- WRAP newspapers in twine or put them in paper bags
- DO NOT use plastic bags, blue recycling bins or trash cans
- BUNDLE & TIE magazines, junk mail, cardboard boxes & telephone books
How To Properly Dispose: Bundle, Tie or Brown Paper Bags
Please only bundle, tie or brown paper bag for newspaper & cardboard materials. These items should NOT be placed in blue recycling bins or any either type of can or pail. Your garbage collectors won't be able to identify these materials if they are placed in any type of receptacle.
Helpful Recycling Tips
- No material can be placed above the top of the recycling can. This helps your garbage collectors avoid injury and materials from falling out of the container.
- Be sure to rinse out your bottles and cans before putting them out for collection. This helps reduce contamination of the recyclables.
- Never use plastic bags to package newspaper at the curb. Always tie up newspaper with twine before putting it out for collection.
- Keep your garbage collectors safe and your streets clean by never putting liquid paints out at the curb. Paint cans that get crushed in the back of the trucks often spew paint.
- Recyclable cardboard can become easily contaminated by grease and food remnants. If your cardboard is contaminated such as a pizza box, please put it out in your regular household garbage pickup.
- Not sure if an item at your curb is too large to be picked up or if your yard waste isn't bundled properly? Visit EnCon's website or call (631) 491-3200 BEFORE you put the material at the curb.
- E-Waste is no longer picked up curbside. Please note that it is a NYSDEC violation to place E-Waste curbside: NYS DEC https://www.dec.ny.gov/chemical/65583.html
- Electronics can be dropped off at the Residential Recycling Facility in West Babylon or returned to the place of sale. Arrangements for special pick-up can also be made by calling: (631) 249-9346 or (631) 249-9347
Encon will pickup white goods on Wednesdays; however, you must call ahead to reserve pickup. Call (631) 491-3200, weekdays from 9AM - 4PM and a representative will give you the pickup date. You need to call by Friday for pickup the next Wednesday. Please put the item at the curb in front of your house. For safety, please remove all doors from refrigerators and freezers.
White Goods Are: residential refrigerators, washers & dryers, dishwashers, stoves & microwaves, water heaters, air conditioners (no central units), bathtubs, metal desks, metal cabinets, compactors, metal dehumidifiers, cut up oil tanks, aluminum sheds (bundled, tied, under 4' and 50 lbs. or less)
Residential Recycling Center
The Residential Recycling Center, located on Field Street off Edison Avenue in West Babylon, is open for drop-off of recyclable materials weekdays from 8:00 A.M. to 2:30 P.M. If you have any questions concerning the Residential Recycling Center, please call (631) 249- 9346 or (631) 249-9347.
Acceptable Items for drop-off at the Residential Recycling Center include: plastics, glass, waste oil, car batteries, computer paper, telephone books, rocks, bricks, E-waste/electronics, household batteries, bicycles (for Adopt-A-Bike program), junk mail, oil filters, metal/aluminum cans, polystyrene, newspapers, cardboard, concrete (small pieces), four tires with or without rims, propane tanks and used clothing.
Note: Materials are only accepted from residents, no items from commercial or industrial entities are allowed.