- Environmental Control
- Garbage Collection
Garbage Collection services in the Town of Babylon are provided by EnCon. Collection services include: General Collection, Recycling and Yard Waste. If you are unsure of which collection days your address falls under for General Collection, please call EnCon at (631) 491-3200. Recycling days and Yard Waste Collection Zones can be found in the Recycling Calendar (PDF).
Residential garbage collection occurs twice a week in the Town of Babylon on either Mondays and Thursdays or Tuesdays and Fridays depending on where you live. If you are unsure of which collection days you fall under, please call EnCon at (631) 491-3200 and provide them with your address.
Recycling Collection pick-up occurs within the Town of Babylon on Wednesdays and alternates each week between bottles and cans, and papers and cardboards. During holiday weeks, Recycling will be picked up on your regular garbage day (Thursdays or Friday). Refer to the Recycling Calendar each week for the cans or newspaper symbol, which indicates what type of collection will occur each week.
Yard Waste Collection:
Yard waste is collected Monday - Friday (12 months of the year) in the Town of Babylon, and is collected separately from general and recyclables. Residents can determine their yard waste pickup day by looking at the Yard Waste Zone (YWZ) map in the Recycling Calendar or on the Yard Waste Collection webpage.
- Where is the Town's Recycling Center?
The Towns Department of Environmental Control operates the Recycling Center. The Recycling Center receives waste that residents feel can’t be picked up at the curb. Not all items, however will be accepted. Unacceptable items include: explosive, ammunition, asbestos, automobile body part.
The Recycling center is located at 57 Field Street in West Babylon and can be contacted at (631) 249-9346.
The hours of operation for the Recycling center are Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 2:30pm.
- What is the trash and recycling pick-up schedule?
A complete trash and recycling pick-up schedule is mailed to each house on an annual basis and is also available online - Trash and Recycling Calendar.
- What is the earliest time trash pick-up service can begin?
Generally, trash service does not begin before 5:00 am. Residents are encouraged to call Commercial Waste at (631) 422-7670 if they notice, or are inconvenienced by, pick-up service occurring prior to 5:00 am.
- What items are considered "White Goods"?
White Goods are:
- residential refrigerators (remove all doors from refrigerators and freezers)
- washers and dryers
- water heaters
- air conditioners
- metal desks, metal cabinets
- metal dehumidifiers
- cut up oil tanks
- aluminum sheds (bundled, tied, under 4' and 50 lbs. or less)
- How can I schedule a special pick up of White Goods?
EnCon will pick up white goods on Wednesdays; however, you must call ahead to reserve pickup. Contact EnCon at (631) 491-3200, Monday through Friday from 9 am to 4 pm and a representative will give you the date your white goods will be picked up. You need to call by Friday for pickup the following Wednesday. Please put the item at the curb in front of your house.
For safety's sake, please remove all doors from refrigerators and freezers.
- How do I dispose of yard waste?
Yard waste is collected separately from garbage 12 months of the year. Yard wase is collected according to your Yard Waste Zone (YWZ). Yard waste will not be picked up on holidays and will be picked up on your next collection day the following week. If you do not know your yard waste day, call EnCon at (631) 491-3200.
- Yard waste cannot be mixed with garbage
- Do not use cardboard boxes for yard waste
- You may put out a maximum of 10 items of yard waste per week
- Bags of grass and leaves must be under 50 lbs
- Disposal regulations for tree debris (tree branches less than 4" in diameter) require that trimmings must be bundled, securely tied, under 4 feet long and under 50 lbs
- Dirt, sod and rocks cannot be collected - these items can be brought to a Transfer Station or Yard Waste Disposal Center
- What day is my yard waste collected?
Your yard waste collection day depends on your yard waste zone (YWZ). For more information, please check the Town of Babylon Recycling Calendar. Yard waste will not be picked up on holidays and will instead be picked up the next week on the resident’s usually scheduled pick-up day. The yard waste zones are as follows:
- YWZ 1 – South of Montauk Highway- Monday pick-up
- YWZ 2- Between Montauk Highway and Sunrise Highway- Tuesday Pick-up
- YWZ 3- Between Sunrise Highway and Southern State Parkway- Wednesday pick-up
- YWZ 4- Between Southern State Parkway and Long Island Avenue – Thursday pick-up
- YWZ 5- North of Long Island Avenue or North of Long Island Rail Road tracks- Friday
- How do I dispose of glass, cans and plastic?
When the bottles and cans symbol appears on your Trash and Recycling Calendar, EnCon will pick up glass, metal cans and plastics from your curbside in your blue recycling bin or clear plastic bags. EnCon cannot collect recycling material from any other type of receptacle.
- Aluminum and Metal Cans - rinse cans, labels may remain in place
- Glass Jars and Bottles - rinse jars and bottles, labels may be left on, remove caps, lids and wire rings (do not break glass or put plate glass, drinking glasses, light bulbs or window panes in the recycling bin)
- Plastic Bottles - rinse plastic bottles and remove caps and pumps (to fit more containers in the bin, flatten them)
- How do I dispose of newspapers, phone books, magazines and cardboard boxes?
When the newspaper symbol appears on your Trash and Recycling Calendar, EnCon will pick up properly wrapped newspapers from your curbside. Wrap newspapers in twine or put them into paper bags. Do not use plastic bags for holding newspapers. Magazines, junk mail, cardboard boxes and telephone books will be picked up along with newspapers. These items should be bundled and tied. Please put out newspapers regardless of the weather. Pizza and cereal boxes are not recyclable. Please dispose of pizza and cereal boxes with your normal household garbage. Do not use your recycling can or garbage pails to put your newspapers out. These items can also be brought to the recycling center at 51 Field Street in West Babylon between the hours of 8:00 am and 2:30 pm, Monday through Friday.