Please see below for the latest updates regarding COVID-19 from the Babylon Town Board. To receive e-mail updates from the Town of Babylon, please click here and select "Town of Babylon Updates" under the "Notify Me" section.
Do you know someone who is going above and beyond during the COVID-19 crisis? Click here and tell us their story.
A Message from Babylon Town Supervisor Rich Schaffer:
On behalf of the entire Babylon Town Board, I hope that you and your families are healthy as we all grapple with the effects of the COVID-19 virus here on Long Island. By maintaining social distancing standards and staying home as much as possible, we will mitigate the effects of the virus and TOGETHER we will persevere. Thank you to the amazing workforce of essential employees here in the Town of Babylon, including health care professionals, law enforcement officers including our officers from the Suffolk County Police Department’s First Precinct, mental health experts, grocery store employees, public transit workers and of course our Town of Babylon workforce.
Please see below for a comprehensive review of town services and information related to COVID-19.
Confirmed COVID-19 Cases (as of 4/7/2020):
- Suffolk County - 15,553
- Town of Babylon - 2,444
- Amityville - 78
- Babylon - 98
- Copiague - 262
- Deer Park - 273
- East Farmingdale - 62
- Gilgo/Oak Beach - 1
- Lindenhurst - 198
- North Amityville - 323
- North Babylon - 179
- North Lindenhurst - 136
- West Babylon - 470
- Wheatley Heights - 77
- Wyandanch - 257
HOW DO I ACCESS TOWN SERVICES?
- PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT AN ONLINE REQUEST and for updates from our departments regarding services, cancellations/postponements and closures.
- Applications, permits and forms are available to download here or on the department’s page.
- Town Board meetings can be viewed here.
- To view the livestream of the April 7, 2020, 7pm meeting of the Babylon Town Board, please click here.
WHAT THE TOWN OF BABYLON IS DOING:
- Supervisor Rich Schaffer has declared a State of Emergency in the Town of Babylon, effective Friday, March 13, 2020, to ensure that the Town is able to acquire all items deemed necessary to sanitize its facilities and do its part to prevent the spread of the virus.
- All large Town of Babylon gatherings and events scheduled for the next two weeks, with the exception of board meetings unless otherwise noted, have been postponed until further notice.
- Planning, Accessory Apartment and Zoning Board meetings scheduled for this week are canceled. Additional information will be posted when available.
- All Town of Babylon buildings remain partially CLOSED to the public until further notice. If you need to visit either Town Hall or the Town Hall Annex to drop off or pick-up anything related to a necessary service, there will be one entrance available to speak with a Public Safety officer.
From Deputy Supervisor Tony Martinez:
As you all know, the Town of Babylon is home to some of the most celebrated and beautiful parks and beaches in our area, which remain open and free to the public.
- Parks and Recreation
- If you want to get out of the house and visit one of these locations, we ask that residents please abide by the social distancing guidelines as set by the CDC: keep six feet away from each other and no group activities. These guidelines will be enforced by Public Safety officials.
- While our parks still remain open, playground equipment is closed in order to maintain social distancing and prevent the spread of the virus via plastic/metal surfaces.
- Town marinas are partially open for boat owners to access their vessels ALONE. Gathering in groups of any size is strictly prohibited. Any person who violates these rules is subject to removal from the marina and the possible forfeiture of their season permit.
- Online camping and boating reservations have been postponed to a later date.
- Animal Shelter
- Our Animal Shelter remains open for drop-offs but is currently closed for adoptions. The shelter remains operational to care for the animals, who are all being taken care of and doing well.
- Planning and Development
- Please remember that ALL Building and Planning Department applications can be filed by mail. An in-person visit to the Planning and Building Departments is not necessary. Town Staff will call you to confirm receipt of your application and will mail you a receipt for the filing fee.
- Accessory Apartment/Rental Renewal Applications must be physically mailed back within 30 days of expiration. Please click here for more information.
- Please remember that if you are in need of other services, you can submit a request through our Online Services tool. Be sure to select Planning or Building under the “Departments” window and your request will be routed to the correct place.
- Planning, Zoning Board of Appeals and Accessory Apartment meetings are cancelled until further notice. The status of future meetings will be posted on the Town website as more information becomes available.
From Councilman Terry McSweeney:
As Chairman of the Public Safety Committee, I am working to make sure the quality of life standards our residents expect are upheld while keeping our employees safe and healthy.
- Public Safety
- Our Public Safety team is working around the clock to ensure visitors to our public parks and other areas are adhering to social distancing mandates and staying away from closed equipment, like playgrounds.
- Fire Marshal
- The town’s Fire Marshals Office continues to operate on a limited basis by responding to emergency calls, inspecting buildings carrying out essential services and visiting construction sites at sites that are still active under New York State guidance.
- Code Enforcement
- Much like the Fire Marshals Office, our Code Enforcement team is operational and responding to essential situations.
From Councilman Anthony Manetta:
Locally-owned businesses are the backbone of Babylon’s economy. As Chairman of the Small Business Committee, I want to make sure our businesses have access to every available resource during these difficult times.
From Councilman DuWayne Gregory:
As an elected official for many years, I know how important local government services can be, especially to the residents that rely on them the most.
- Though our senior centers remain closed to combat the community spread of COVID-19, our Senior Meals program will continue. If you are a senior having difficulty food shopping and are facing a shortage, please call us at 631-464-4340.
- Our food pantry is open for those currently in need.
- As always, our food pantry is in need of essential items. If you have the means to donate at this time, please dial 631-464-4340 to learn how you can help.
- Garbage and recyclable collection will not be interrupted during this ongoing situation. In order to keep our waste collection employees healthy, we ask that you do the right thing by them and their families by properly bagging garbage and desanitizing your cans.
From Town Clerk Gerry Compitello:
- The Town Clerk’s office will be closed until further notice. Only marriage licenses for active duty military members being deployed will be issued during this time.
- Copies of birth, death and marriage certificates can be sent via mail. To request a copy, please visit our Online Services page and select "Town Clerk’s Office" under Department.
From Tax Receiver Jennifer Montiglio:
- As of now the property tax deadline in Suffolk County remains May 31st, and would need to be changed by NYS and Suffolk County. However, we are currently in discussions with New York State to either move the due date later or delay any penalties for late payment. We will provide an update when we learn more.
- A secure drop-box has been placed at the east entrance of Town Hall for residents to drop off payments between 9am and 4pm.
- Please remember that payments can be made online 24/7 at www.officialpayments.com. Cash payments are not currently being accepted.
New York State Drive-Through Testing Information
Drive-through sampling sites are a critical part of the Governor’s nation-leading program to test for COVID-19. These facilities reduce density and the potential for spread by keeping people who are sick or at risk of having contracted coronavirus out of healthcare facilities where they could infect other people.
The drive-through sites are prioritizing sampling for symptomatic individuals that are part of the highest risk population, those who have been in close contact with a positive case, and, as necessary, health care workers, nursing home employees and first responders on the front lines.
Testing is by appointment only. Residents who believe they have been in close contact with a case and have symptoms, and would like to be tested can be assessed by calling the COVID-19 hotline at 888-364-3065.
Individual test results are sent to the individual by phone, text, or they can access the online patient portal at http://www.Bioreference.com
New York State Testing sites in Suffolk County :
Stony Brook University has a mobile testing site It has six lanes to accommodate up to 1,000 tests per day and it will be opened 7 days a week from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., To make an appointment to be assessed please call the COVID-19 hotline at 888-364-3065.
First Responder Testing:
To help support those in need of testing the most, ProHEALTH is opening its Drive-Thru COVID-19 testing sites to all first responders, and you do not have to be a ProHEALTH patient. Any first responder with COVID-19 symptoms, should simply call ProHEALTH’s drive-thru scheduling hotline at 516-874-0411 to talk to a medical professional. If testing is needed, you will be scheduled for an appointment at one of ProHEALTH’s 4 urgent care locations in either Lake Success, Jericho, Riverhead or Little Neck.
To sign up for the latest updates from Suffolk County - TEXT : COVIDSUFFOLK TO "67283"
New Yorkers can call the COVID-19 Emotional Support Hotline at 1-844-863-9314 for mental health counseling
To sign up for the latest updates from New York State - click HERE
For information on best practices to avoid transmission of Covid-19 - click HERE
For information on Covid-19 testing in Suffolk County - click HERE
New York State COVID-19 E-Mail Updates: HERE
New York State Department of Health: HERE
U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: HERE
World Health Organization: HERE
Suffolk County Health Bulletins: HERE
Take Out/Delivery Options in the Town of Babylon: HERE
NYS Department of Health: 1-888-364-3065
NYS Emotional Support/Mental Health: 1-844-863-9314