Requirements to apply for Enhanced STAR exemption include: You must have had a STAR exemption on this property for the 2015/2016 tax year. If no, you are not eligible for the Enhanced STAR exemption. However, you may be eligible for the Enhanced STAR credit (contact NYS @ http://www.tax.ny.gov or call (518) 457-2036).
- Applicants must be 65 years of age or over. The applicant may file an application by the March 1 deadline provided they will turn 65 sometime during that year.
- Applications must be received by March 1st of that year.
- All owners of the property must meet the age requirement except for the spouse or sibling of an owner who is 65 years old.
- The income of a spouse or former spouse who does not reside on the premises, is still counted as income if he/she is listed as an owner of the property.
- The income requirement is based on the owner’s Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) less any IRA distributions.
- The combined income (adjusted gross income) of all owners or spouses of owners who reside on the premises must be included and may not exceed $92,000 less any IRA distributions for the applicable income tax year return. This refers to the Federal adjusted gross income.