Below are some of the Accessory Apartment Permit requirements. This list is not exhaustive and the homeowner is advised to schedule a meeting with a Town Representative to discuss the requirements in detail.
- The home must be at least 3 years old
- The homeowner must verify that the certificate of occupancy does not restrict accessory apartments
- If your accessory apartment is new, a plumbing permit is required for the sink in the new kitchen
- If you have an existing apartment and a second sink, the Town will notify you if a plumbing permit is required
- Both units must have at least 350 square feet of habitable space
- All rooms must have at least 80 square feet of habitable space
- One of the dwelling units must limited to a total of three rooms
There are other requirements related to handrails, stairways, doors, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, parking, house exteriors, markers and others.