How do I request a property to be cleaned up?
All requests are made through the Office of Citizen Services at (631) 957-TOWN (8696).

Once a request is received, it is forwarded to Code Enforcement or the Office of Sanitation for investigation. If in violation, a Notice of Violation is placed on the door of the home, or if there is nowhere to leave the notice (such as with vacant property), it is mailed, registered mail, to the owner of the property. The property owner has a period of 5 days to cure the situation. A reinspection will be conducted just beyond the 5 day cure period. If the violation is not corrected, the Town will clean the property and bill the cost of this work to the property owner and if not paid will be transferred to the property’s tax bill. This is a legally binding lien (debt that stays with the property until paid).

Suffolk County is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of all County properties. Constituents are encouraged to call (631) 853-5941 about neglected county lots.

Show All Answers

1. What is the Town's Lot Cleanup Program?
2. How do I request a property to be cleaned up?
3. When and who cleans the sump in my neighborhood?
4. What is the Town's Sump Beautification Program?
5. What is the property complaint process?
6. How do I dispute a property violation?