When are Road Opening Permits issued?
When an agency other than the Town needs to open a Town road to perform construction work, the Town issues a road opening permit. Possible permitees include Suffolk County Water Authority, LIPA, National Grid, State, County, and other Governmental Agencies.

The permit notes and acknowledges the agency's responsibility to conduct the construction work in accordance with the State and Federal requirements as called for in Town Code. Markouts are required for any work more than one foot below the surface. The Town does not inspect the work but does hold security in the form of a bond or cash for a period of two (2) years. This is only released upon inspection that the work has stood the test of two (2) years time.

If an agency works on a road located within the Town, but not owned by the Town (State or County roads) there is no requirement for a permit.

Show All Answers

1. What makes a pothole?
2. Why do so many potholes occur in the spring?
3. Do some roads get more potholes than others?
4. How do I report potholes?
5. Why is a recently filled pothole coming apart?
6. What are the options to repair roads?
7. What is the process to reconstruct a road?
8. What can I expect when my road is being reconstructed?
9. When will my street be repaved?
10. Why is there standing water on a recently paved street?
11. When are Road Opening Permits issued?
12. Do I need a permit to widen my driveway?
13. What is a private road?
14. What services does the Town provide for private roads?
15. Can a private road become a Town road?